Sunday, March 13, 2011

3 Days of the Brisket

To me, brisket is a 3 day operation. What was once scraps left over for the servants is now haute cuisine among the barbeque scene. Brisket has become a noble treat via barbeque. Don't get me wrong, brisket is a fatty tough hunk of cow. To tame this beast, pitmaster go with the low and slow technique, low temp and long cook.
I start off day one by prepping the brisket. First I trim off the most of the fat. I cn't get rid of all of it because fat is flavor. I inject the brisket with my marinade, one injection per square inch, trying to not poke through the bottom of the brisket. I wrap the brisket in plastice wrap and store in the fridge.
Day 2. As soon as I drop the boys off at school, the brisket goes into the smoker. I try to keep the temp between 225 and 250 degrees. I use hickory chips for the smoke. I check on it quite often and use a probe thermometer to observe the internal temp in the thickest part of the meat. During the last hour, I baste with my barbeque sauce every 15 minutes. When it is done it goes straight into aluminum foil then into a zip top bag and into the fridge.
Day 3. I use a meat slicer to get the brisket as thin as possible and when the slicing is done, all the meat goes into the roasting oven at about 300 degrees. I add the meat juice from the zip top bags and usually some beff broth. The brisket then slow cooks all day until it is time to serve. Several times a day I use a ladle and baste the meat. I always mix well so that the meat on top gets down into the juices.
Service. I like to serve my brisket hot with the sauce on the side. For condiments I like pickled red onions, fresh horseradish and carmelized jalapenos.

No comments:

Post a Comment