Thursday, March 17, 2011

Do you have a favorite wine?

I don't drink a lot of wine but like a good snort now and then. I am by no means a wine snob. I don't have the first clue about fancy wines or the like. We all remember thw wines of our youth, TJ Swann, Boone's Farms and of course Mad Dog 20/20. My dad made wine in his basement. Up until recently I had a bottle of his cherry wine from 1988. My favorite of his was blackberry. I think the one thing that set his homemade wines apart was the fact the he was rumored to put a shot of everclear in every bottle. I can't confirm that story.
I my go to wine has always been a dryer red wine like a Cabernet Sauvingnon in red and Pinot Grigio in white. During a recent trip to Sam's I was looking thru the wine section and came across a Spanish wine. It was a 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon from The Spanish Quarter. Having never had a Spanish wine I bought a bottle. This wine was a blend of 55% cabernet sauvignon and 45% Tampranillo. This was new to me but I loved it. It had the bold flavor of cabernet but less of a dryer bite. I really liked it so if you head that way I recommend you try it. It wasn't expensive either.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite wine is St. James Winery's School House White. It has the perfect blend for me. I prefer to buy local wines made in Missouri or Illinois. Hermanoff's White Lady is another great wine. Also, I really like St. James' Norton.
    Next time you're in St. Louis, check out World Market and their excellent selection of wines.

    ReplyDelete