Monday, March 14, 2011

Sometimes you just aren't sure what to do or what to cook.

I had been thinking ahead for quite a few days about cooking the brisket for the Moose Lodge. I had already lined out the marinade, rub and sauce. I decided the condiments to be pickled red onions, fresh horseradish and jalapenos. Seemed easy enough. Saturday morning I whipped up the red onions and horseradish. That morning I bought fresh jalapenos at Mac's. I sliced them into rings and put them in a plastic container. Everytime I looked at them I got the feeling that they needed to be prepared a different way than fresh. O'Griff's in Quincy adds sauteed jalapenos to some of their sandwiches. That got me thinking. I didn't want to use pickled or canned jalapenos. I know that camelization brings out the sugars in things. It adds a sweetness and a crispy bite. I decided to carmelize the peppers in canola oil and butter. I cooked them until they were brown and crispy. I was really happy with the result. You could get the crunch, the sweet and the real pepper flavor that is often masked by the heat. I took home probably half of the peppers that I made. For the next couple of days, I ate them with everything. They were best with sausage and eggs. Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment