Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My take on a Classic Italian Bolognese


I had been planning this italian menu all morning. I wanted to make a bolognese and some garlic bread. I started prepping early on. Earlier in the day I roasted 2 bulbs of garlic. Just remove the outer skin, chop off about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the top. Put it on some aluminum foil, coat with olive oil and wrap it up. Put in an oven preheated to 400F and bake for 30 minutes.
When the garlic has cooled to the touch remove it from the foil. I mix the soft garlic with one stick of unsalted butter that is at room temp. I put that on some deli rolls and top with parmesan then crisp it up in the oven.
For the bolognese I started with a package of johnsonville italian sausage. Remove the casing from the sausage and and brown in a hot pan with olive oil. When the sausage is almost done I add in half of an onion diced fine and some minced garlic. When the sausage is done, drain the fat. Then i add in 2 cans of tomato sauce, fresh basil and fresh oregano, salt and pepper. Bring it up to a simmer and reduce the heat. Allow the sauce to reduce and thicken. I don't like a runny sauce.
Top some fresh pasta with the sauce and garnish with a bit of fresh basil and parmesan.
The italian sausage and fresh herbs really take this sauce over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment