Sunday, July 11, 2010

My new bamboo steamer







I'm always picking up new gadgets to cook with. My latest purchase is a bamboo steamer I bought off of eBay. It's a small one, 8 inch diameter. My package came in the mail yesterday. As usual, I could'nt wait to put it to use. I just happened to have some corn on the cob handy, so it was time to get my steam on.

I chose a medium size stock pot, added an inch of water and a pinch of kosher salt. Once the water was boiling I added my corn to the steamer, then placed the steamer on a woven wire rack on top of the stock pot. I let it steam for 10 minutes then turned off the heat. I took one piece of corn out to test and left the rest in the steamer. The corn was wonderful. It wasn't water logged. It tasted very fresh and still had a good bite feel.

I went back 20 minutes later and there was still steam in the steamer. Cool.

Steaming food is supposed to be better for us healt wise. I like the idea retaining the nutritional components and maintaining some crunch. I think this would be a wonderful way to cook fresh fish.

The steamer was very inexpensive, so you might try purchasing one and get your own steam on. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment