Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Love My Cabbage


I love my cabbage. Those of you that know me well might think I am talking about my oldest son Colton. I am not talking about that cabbage. Before he was born we were discussing name and I wanted to name him Cabot, but Rob said everyone would call him Cabbage. We named him Colton but the nick name is still used around this house.


Anyway back to my cabbage. My name and I were talking the other day about what kind of food we like to grill. He brought up what he said was barbecued cabbage. He talked about putting the cabbage in aluminum foil with butter and salt and throwing it on the grill. I used to take some cabbage, onions, potatoes, butter, salt and pepper and wrap it all in aluminum foil and throwing it in the coals. I always loved that semi charred veggie dish.


I got it in my head that I wanted to try oven roasting cabbage. I found a few recipes and like I always do, I played around with the recipes and came out with one I thought would work.
I was delicious. Take a rather mundane veggie and making it amazing. So what you see in the picture is oven roasted cabbage with parsley and chives, drizzled with olive oil
Recipe Follows.
1 head of cabbage cut into eighths and core removed,
3 tbs melted butter
salt and pepper
olive oil.
Preheat your oven to 500 F. Drizzle or baste the cabbage wedges with the melted butter. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Put in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove it from the oven, garnish with parsley, chives, and olive oil. Serve hot. At 20 minutes the outer leaves are wilted but there is still some crunch and the inside. If you want it less crunchy add a few more minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment