Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Smoking Fish


Saturday morning we went fishing. Caught 8 bass but only kept five. Since we were hosting a cookout Sunday, I thought smoked bass would be a good appetizer. When returned home, I got right to cleaning them. I decided to smoke them whole so I just took the scales off and removed the guts.


They went straight into a rinse container. I rinsed them again and placed them in the fridge overnight. Sunday morning I transfered them to a new container that contained a premixed brine solution. I let them soak for about 7 hours. I fired up the smoker, rinsed the fish one more time and put them in the smoker. I cooked them for one hour with out smoke then added the wet hickory chips to the fire box.


After another out I started checking their temps with an instant read thermometer. When the flesh reached 165 F, I pulled them off the smoker and let them rest for a few minutes then served. Everyone seemed to like the smoked fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment