Saturday, May 8, 2010

Brine Pickles




Several years ago I tried to make dill pickles. I used the hot pack method. They always came out mushy and not very flavorful. This year I chose the old tried and true method of brining. I got some pickle sized cukes at walmart and some baby dill. Dill isn't quite in season yet. I started the brine about 6 weeks ago, skimming off the scum every few days. I ket them in a cool dark place. I didn't want the temp to get over 70 degrees.




They were a success. They are firm and not mushy. The dill flavor is lacking so Ill add more next time. The crushed red pepper brings some heat, but I think it is too much for the boys.




They are good but I think I can do better. Once this batch is eaten I will start a new batch.




Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment