Saturday, May 29, 2010

Recycling leftovers

I prefer the word recycling rather than leftovers which leads one to think that the meal is just reheated food. I prefer to recycling, which in my mind means transforming one food into another style of food. I mean the plastic water bottle you recycle can be a park bench next.

A prime example for me was last week. I over roasted a whole chicken for dinner. What was left went into the fridge. A night or two later, I diced up some of that chicken and we had chicken nachos, fajita style chicken. Then it became chicken tempura during an oriental feast. The final grace was the pieces picked off of the bone for chicken and noodles, which are always a hit here.

Last night we had ham. This morning we had ham in our scrambled eggs then I shaved the ham with my meat slicer and we had ham sandwiches for lunch. I'll probably freeze the rest and save it for ham and beans.

And don't forget about the chicken bones, freeze them and use them for chicken stock.

There are opportunites everywhere in the kitchen when you can make sure you absolutely get your moneys worth.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment