Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sushi







I do a lot of cooking on the fly. Sometimes the ingredients or dishes change then its off to the grocery store again. I never know what the muse has in store for me or what inspiration will strike next.






My latest challenge was sushi. I am not sure why but wanted to try my hand at this Japanese delicacy. At the local megamart I purchased the japanese style rice, nori seaweed sheets(algae), imitation crab meat(surimi), avacados and cucumber. I already had wasabi paste on hand.






So I set in cooking the rice then added the vinegar mixture. After reading about sushi and watching several videos, I tried to do it the right way. The rice is very sticky. Its hard to fold in the vinegar while trying to fan the rice with the other hand, but I did get the rice down to room temperature.






Now for the sushi roll. I didn't have a sushi rolling mat so did it on my cutting board. The nori I bought wasn't very wide so it was easy to in too much filling. Finally I got the rice on the nori after battling with the sticky rice. I rolled it up and had too much filling so the ends didnt quite meet. But it was enough to for Rob and I to eat. Besides having too mush filling I also had too much wasabi paste. WHEW!!!! Talk about a sinus cleaner, WOW.






All in all it was an ugly attempt but tasted great. I had left over rice so I rolled up some more yesterday just to practice. I turned the nori 90 degrees and had more room to work so the rolls came out better.






I have ordered some wider nori sheets and a bamboo rolling mat so there will be more sushi on our future. Havent decided on trying the raw fish yet(sashimi).






If you enjoy sushi try making it at home. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment