Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Stalks stems and florets

I am a huge raw veggie fanatic. I snack all morning long on raw veggies. The usual suspects are cucumbers and tomatoes. But I don't stop there. I may have broccoli, cauliflower, green onions, carrots, cabbage, bell peppers, even zuchini.

When it comes to broccoli and cauliflower, my favorite parts are the stems or stalks. They have a wonderful concentrated flavor. A lot of people that buy fresh veggies have a tendency to discard the stalks and stems. Not me. If I am cooking the veg then I include the stems.

I am also a big fan of cabbage hearts. Not much goes to waste around here. I use everything from the florets to the hearts. Celery is also another favorite, works great in Bloody Marys.

There is nothing like fresh veggies. So get out of the can and into produce aisle.

No comments:

Post a Comment